Are You A Compulsive Spender?
While many of us occasionally over-spend, compulsive spenders regularly over-spend. If you recognize that your shopping or spending feels out of control, the self-test below can help you assess your behavior and determine what to do about it:
Ask yourself the following questions:
- Do you shop as a result of being disappointed, angry or scared?
- Are your shopping/spending habits causing emotional distress or chaos in your life?
- Do you have arguments with others regarding your shopping or spending habits?
- Do you feel lost without credit cards?
- Do you buy items on credit that you would not buy with cash?
- Does shopping give you a feeling of euphoria and anxiety at the same time?
- Does spending or shopping feel like a reckless or forbidden act?
- Do you feel guilty, ashamed, embarrassed or confused after shopping or spending money?
- Are many of your purchases never used?
- Do you lie to others about what was bought or how much money was spent?
- Do you think excessively about money?
- Do you spend a lot of time juggling accounts and bills to accommodate spending?
Four or more “yes” answers to the questions above indicates a problem with spending.
© 2003 Jenican Communications.